Monday, July 02, 2007

Standing Here At Your Shores I Am Once Again Home...

Frustratingly, I still can't get html to work on my blog, so I guess I just have to write in between the pictures and leave a picture just hanging there at the top. That picture is of a significant building in my life. Any guesses? Mom, how about you? This building is the hospital where I was born. Back then it was called McCauley hospital. It is located in Coos Bay, Oregon, where I was born and raised. It sits across the street from Mingus Park and the ballpark where my beloved Uncle Jim used to referee softball games. As you can see, the building is all boarded up now, but that's where it all began.

Since I don't have a lot of control of the order of how the pictures appear, I'll just have to muddle through here. Last Saturday my sister Angie and I took a day trip with my nephew Tim and my niece Stephanie to the town where we grew up. It was the first time that Angie and I had been back since we lost our brother David last November. We chose to look at the trip as a celebration as we drove past the houses where we used to live (most of them torn down now), and the schools that we attended.

But the healing part? That was standing on the cliffs of the ocean and feeling the sand between our toes on the beaches:

I love this picture of Angie dipping her toes into the cold water. I don't know if you can tell, but the sand is not sand like you think of in a sandbox, but rather little pieces of shells and rocks. It's beautiful. This beach is not one that's well known to people who aren't from the area. It's a favorite among locals, and I'm sorry, but I'm sworn by birthright not to disclose it's location.
It's a secluded cove.
Surrounded by cliffs and trees. You have to walk a ways to get there, but the view tells you you're going in the right direction.
A lot like life, wouldn't you say?

9 comments:

larheel said...

Thanks so much for these beautiful thoughts and pictures. I hope the trip brought some peace to you. As I'm struggling through grief right now (though for pets and not for people) I saw a glimpse of joy and hope here.

Jennifer said...

That is a beautiful place. I'm glad you were able to find a little peace there.

Anonymous said...

I love that beach!!! :) I also love the Cape Arago viewpoint. It's one of my faves. I'm glad you gotta come and visit.

msubulldog said...

What a pretty little cove. Reminds me of a favorite little beach up near Manzanita.

p.s. Happy Birthday to the Sproutster!
p.p.s. My mom couldn't get html to work on her blog today, either. . .

Anonymous said...

Absolutely. Nice post.

Anonymous said...

That is a wonderful analogy for life, especially with the beautiful pictures.

Sandy said...

I got tears in my eyes when I seen this beach again. There is so much beauty there, Huh? I was lucky to grow up there too. I think we'll plan a little trip, too. There's no place like Memory Lane, right?

Anonymous said...

two of the best women living in the same region of the USA. I am glad i don't live there i would not be able to function. I love you both, My girls!! Love your Alex!!!

Tanglewood Fiber Creations said...

Coos Bay was the magical place where I learned to spin, and met myself and dreamed my life dream, how wonderful to see the pictures and the lovely thoughts about your husband. Mine is cooping with family right now and I'm going to take a page out of your blog even though it's not our anniversary. It made me cool just looking at your pictures sitting in a motel room in Tucson AZ (not my favorite place at all) Trish