Monday, May 21, 2007

Back Home, But Forever Changed

Views from Washington DC

The Washington Monument from the steps of the Lincoln Memorial:The Lincoln Memorial:
National Police Week in Washington DC was emotional and exhausting, as expected. I was deeply touched by the honor bestowed upon the memory of my brother and his fellow officers who died in the line of duty. Here is one of many examples of the meaningful tributes paid during the week:This is my mother, my niece Stephanie, my oldest sister Angie, my middle sister Laura, and me at the candlelight vigil held at the National Peace Officer's Memorial:At the candlelight vigilFinding my brother's name on the memorial wall
At the Capital Building with my brother's wife Celia and my sister Laura:
Listening to President Bush speak at the Capital:

Celia and I meeting the PresidentI have to say, regardless of politics, to hear the loss of my brother acknowledged by the President of the United States was powerfully moving.

A heartfelt thank you to all who sent words of encouragement and support while I was away. It is so unbelievably good to be back home.

9 comments:

knittinmom said...

Welcome home, and thanks for sharing all the pics. Your family is gorgeous. And so is your shawl! Is that the Pacific Northwest shawl from Fiber Trends?

Anonymous said...

what an amzing week. when i lived in DC my favourite thing was to watch fireworks on the roof of the pentagon.

Heather said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mommyleek said...

Glad to have you back. Also glad that you and your family were able to have such a meaningful and memorable experience like this.

*hugs*

Jennifer said...

Welcome home. I'm glad it was a powerful experience for you and your family. My thoughts and prayers are still with you, always!

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking of you and shopping for your spring sock hop goodies this week. I'm glad you and your family had such a memorable trip. Thanks for sharing the pictures. -Your pal

Meghan said...

Welcome back. I'm so glad that you had a moving tribute for your brother. Thank you for sharing with us. Still thinking good thoughts for you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Welcome home lady. I thought about you a lot last week. Glad to hear it went well. Looks like you had beautiful weather too.

Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow.

Tracey, in MI said...

Dude--- my knitting met the president.... wonder what color he'd like... sheesh- dumb question- red, white n blue!

So glad you're enjoying /finding comfort n love in the shawl... and the pics made me cry....keep healing girl- I'm still visiting and praying for your family;)