Tuesday, November 14, 2006

My Brother

If you've seen a picture of my brother David, chances are you've seen the tough-guy pose that was taken for his border patrol ID. As his older sister, I think that's fitting, because he needed to look like he meant business. But let me share the softer side of my baby brother with you.

This man loved kitties over dogs, and preferred tea to coffee. This man had the best sense of humor, and we were always laughing, whether he was laughing AT me or WITH me. He loved to play games and do puzzles, just like me.

The man who walked me down the aisle and gave me away at my wedding. I remember you whispered to me words of love and encouragement.

We always thought there would be more time to catch up on all of our grown-up stuff. That we would grow old and always be there.

I am so proud of the man you became. How you took care of your family. You died doing a job that you loved, and left behind many, many people whose lives will never be the same from having known you.

I love you, David. And I will miss you every day of my life.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this picture of the softer side of David. Your words are beautiful. I feel he is just as proud of you as you are of him!!

Anonymous said...

I love the picture of your brother. What a handsome young man. I am very close with my brother as well, I know the pain you must be feeling is overwhelming, but please know he IS with you. His memories or his love will never go away, I promise you that.

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing the story of your brother this week. I would liked to have met him. Sounds like he was an awesome, awesome man. Alex and I had a terrific week and I'm glad we got to meet! Jason