Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Socktoberfest: Sharing Your Sock History

Socktoberfest has begun! My goal is to finish my Mystery Socks (I may be the last person in the group to do that!), finish Karen's Sugar-Free Diabetes Walk Socks,(link to both unfinished pairs here) and to START knitting a pair of socks for my brother-in-law for Christmas. It's been our "thing" for years now that I've always given him socks for Christmas. I think he told my sister once that he likes not having to worry about buying dress socks, because he knows he'll get new ones from me every year.

Now, mind you, my goal is to knit ONE pair for him this year, because I want to see how well they go over, and I have lots of Christmas knitting on my plate. Since I'm a little nervous about it, I thought that Socktoberfest would be the perfect springboard to get started.

I will be using a golden tan color of Koigu for Dan's socks. Here is a picture of the shade:

I still haven't found the perfect pattern I'd like to use. If all goes well, these will be socks he will wear to work as an executive in a business suit. So I can't make them too funky, but I also don't want them to be boring. Does anyone out there know of a great pattern that would work well in this situation? If you do, I'd be most grateful for any suggestions.

Now on to the Socktoberfest questions:

*When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?

I just started making socks in May of this year, when Amanda encouraged me to take the plunge with her Mock Croc sock knitalong. She told me to follow the directions exactly, no matter how funny they sounded, and I would do fine. And she was right! Thank you, Girlfriend, for getting me started on yet another knitting obsession!

*What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time?

Those Mock Croc socks were my first pair of socks, and I entered them in my county and state fairs and won 2nd place ribbons for them in both fairs. They've held up well because I haven't worn them yet. The weather hasn't gotten cold enough yet for me to surrender to sock season. Funny thing, they're still stuffed with tissue paper like they were when they were on display at the fair!



*What would you have done differently?

Not a thing! In fact, I am so craving to get my hands on some more of that Mountain Colors yarn that I used for that pair.

*What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?

See above. The Mountain Colors was a dream to work with for my first sock project. Since then, I've been using Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran (very decadent) and I'm loving how the Rowan Wool Cotton is working up. I just used Plymouth Dreambaby DK for my International Socks of Doom, and it made a surprisingly soft and supple pair of socks (my 2nd finished pair).

*Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?

I haven't crocheted socks. My first pair was done on 5 wooden DPN's, and I've used the Magic Loop on the rest of the socks that I've worked on to date. I would love to learn how to knit socks on 2 circs, though I've been told that the Magic Loop will probably remain my favorite method.

*Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)

This early into my sock-making career, I'd have to say short-row heels, but I reserve the right to change my mind.

*How many pairs have you made?

Finished 2, Have 2 on the needles. Want to make many, many more.

P.S. Speaking of socks, I am still alive in the Sock Wars, having not received any socks of doom in the mail as of today.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh, I didn't know there are socktoberfest questions! I'll have to check that out.

No, Katrina. I will be the last mystery socker to finish. I haven't even started yet.

msubulldog said...

Aaaaaahhhhh! You're still alive?!?!? That is SO awesome! :) And that Koigu for your brother-in-law is really rich and beautiful.

Liz said...

Hi from a fellow Socktobrist! I love that gold color. I think they'd look great in an interesting rib-something like the Socks of Doom, or maybe a little simpler. You could also just have some interesting little seed stitch columns on either side of the cuff--simple, dignified, not too boring.

Good luck!