And we now have a sock:A little more than 24 hours after casting on for the first sock of doom, I have finished it. That's pretty significant for me, considering it took me a couple months to complete my first pair of socks. I've cast on for the second sock, and will probably just finish the seven rows of k1, p1 ribbing before going to bed tonight. I knew that this weekend would be the only time that I would have to stay up late to make these socks, then it would be catch as catch can from then on. But it's an easy pattern; fairly mindless. Which is how I'm starting to feel now that I've stayed up until the wee hours for two nights in a row.
My intended target wears size US 10 shoes, so the foot is much longer than I'm used to knitting when I knit socks for my size 5 feet. I always wondered how you allowed for different sizes of feet when knitting socks for someone else, and now I know it's not that difficult to do.
A glitch in the system (only Hurricane Gordon) prevented the hostess, yarnmonkey, from sending out individual emails with the information on our intended target. This morning I had to wade through a mile-long list of assassins to find who my target was to be. Then it was suggested that we email our target to ask them for their mailing address so we can send them the finished socks and thereby eliminate them. Like that's gonna happen. But on good faith, I emailed my target, who sounds like a fun gal from her blog. I bribed her with the promise of chocolate, so she might just come through yet.
And now the initial craziness is over. I expect to make slow and steady progress on the second sock, but nothing like the push that I got over the last two late nights. My little body just can't take the all-nighters like it used to. Go figure.