Friday, May 19, 2006

Congratulations to Jenni

Congratulations to Jenni for winning the movie line contest from Dick and Jane. Unlike a lot of people, I laughed harder at the remake than the original. The botox scene? The border escape? I almost couldn't breathe I was laughing so hard. Not that the movie is perfect, but I still enjoyed it. Good job, Jenni. If you'd like to email your mailing address to me at kkmj at comcast dot net, I will send a little prize your way.

To answer Stephanie's questions, the socks will be for me. I hear that sock knitting can be addictive. I'm already addicted to knitting, but haven't quite caught the sock bug yet. I hear that the knitting goes very quickly, and by the time you're finished with your first sock, you're hooked. I'll have to let you know about that.

Do I consider myself a fast knitter? Would I win a knitting race? Or do I like to take my time and focus on the stitch quality?

I'd have to say that it depends on the project. But I'm a thrower, which means I hold the yarn in my right hand, rather than a picker, where someone holds the yarn in their left hand. They have held actual speed knitting contests, and throwers rarely win. I have learned the picking technique, and do it every once in a while so I don't forget it, but throwing feels much more natural to me, and I personally feel like I can control my gauge better with throwing. There's a fallacy that picking is more sophisticated than throwing. I don't agree.

I don't knit really fast, but I'm not slow either. I get a lot of things done, but that's probably due more to always having my knitting with me so I can whip it out wherever I am, and because I try to make time for knitting every night. Sometimes I don't always succeed, but there is something very therapeutic for me to unwind and knit after the kids have gone to bed. I start to feel scattered if I don't get that time.

And since knitting is all about the relaxation for me, I don't rush it.

Knitting, just like any other hobby, can get spendy if you let it. The best rationalization I've heard (from an enabling yarn shop owner, naturally) was that you are paying for the experience of knitting, and as a bonus you get a finished product at the end. I guess if you think about it, you pay about $15 for a movie, popcorn and soda for two hours of entertainment. For the time spent, knitting can be considered pretty reasonably priced. But I could just be trying to justify...

On to the next movie line contest. Up for your consideration now:

"Do you understand the words that are coming out of my mouth?"

Good luck to all.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

hahahah I'm pretty sure that's our man Jackie Chan speaking! Rush Hour? I've heard Tim say this line a few times. Good one!

You know, you were telling me about your "thrower" techinique, and how interesting that there are different techniques to knitting. Wow, there's just so much I don't know about it! I just enjoy watching people do it, it's soothing to stare at the yarn being tossed aruond and the soft sounds of needles clicking. hahah didn't mean to get all "visual" on ya, but yea, it's nice. :-)

Unknown said...

It was not Jackie Chan or Chris Rock. It was Chris Tucker. Rush Hour. I feel a bit like I am cheating, since I just won, but at least I wasn't the first entry.

msubulldog said...

I could swear that quote is from me talking to my almost 3-year-old . . . :)

Mrs. H said...

LOL, bulldog! I was thinking the same thing. (I meant MY 3 and 6 year old, though, not yours, obviously!)

You and I must have mostly different taste in movies, Katrina. I don't know this one either. Sometimes I have seen the movie I just don't remember the line you quote. (like Ghostbusters which I haven't seen in 20 years) Most of the time, though, the lines you quote are from movies I've never seen, Fun with Dick and Jane for instance. It sure makes it challenging!