Friday, June 16, 2006

Happy Birthday Sproutie!

Tonight brings back such sweet memories for me. It was one year ago that I woke up in the middle of the night with a tightness in my belly. Was that a contraction? No, I still have two weeks to go...wait, there it is again. I think I'll get up and walk around just in case. I don't even have a bag packed...

By the time I woke the Count up I was on my hands and knees in pain. I told him I wanted to shower before we left, and he just laughed and loaded my very pregnant self into the car. By the time we got to the hospital I was dilated to 6cm, and Sproutie was born an hour and a half later.

Did I ever tell you that I thought I wanted him to be a girl? We chose not to find out the gender, but I was secretly hoping. And Girlie said she wanted a sister. As much as I love my own sister, I wanted that for her too.

In the middle of labor my doctor said the baby's hand was out, and you know what that means? It means it's a girl, because they always have their hands out, haha. But I was so deep in labor I didn't get the joke. And then the nurse that was coaching me to push kept saying, "That's a GIRL! That's a GIRL!" and I thought she was telling me the baby was a girl, not just encouraging me. So I was so happy to have what I thought I wanted. Then they held Sproutie up and he most definitely was NOT a girl. They handed him to me, and in my confusion, I...I cried.

There is a line from Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing that says:

Don Pedro: "...and to be merry best becomes you; for, out of question, you were born in a merry hour. "
Beatrice: "No, sure, my lord, my mother cried...but then there was a star danced, and under that was I born."

And that's how I feel about Sproutie's birth. I imagine a little star so happy in the sky knowing all that lies ahead of us. And dancing for it.

When I held that little bundle and looked into those sweet brown eyes, any thoughts of wanting him to be a girl just melted away, and it was just me and my baby, and all was right with the world.

Of course now I can't imagine life any other way. This little boy was so meant to be.

Happy 1st birthday, Sproutie. Your mommy loves you so much.

11 comments:

knittinmom said...

Yay! Happy 1st b-day, little Sproutlet! I'll admit that I wanted Owen to be a girl, too, but I am so delighted by who he is. I couldn't imagine it any other way!

msubulldog said...

Look at those sweet pictures. . .. Happy Birthday, Sproutie! I love being mommy to a boy. They're just awesome.

Jennifer said...

Happy birthday Sproutie! Boys are so sweet.

Luv2ReedGrandma said...

Happy 1st Birthday, Sproutie. Your Dram Dram loves you so

KSD said...

Happy Birthday, Sproutie! Lots of people love your Mommy, too!

(Tomorrow, I'll be having the same type of recollections, though mine happened 14 years ago. . .)

Tam said...

Happy Birthday, Sproutie!!

mamma said...

Happy Birthday Sproutie.

I always wanted the opposite of what I actually gave birth to. I wanted Pork Chop to be a bald boy, I got a girl with hair. I wanted Meaty to be a dainty girl, instead I got my rowdy boy. I wanted Bird to be another chaotic boy, instead I got my dainty girl. But the moment they handed me my baby I completely forgot I wanted something different, my baby was just what I always wanted. Funny how that works.

Tam said...

I agree with mamma. The only one I didn't get what I wanted was #3. I thought sure, sure, SURE that she was a boy. When I found out she was a girl (my third in a row) I was really disappointed. Luckily, that was at about 20 weeks gestation and by the time she was born I was totally over it. :-) Once you see that sweet little face there's no way you'd change a thing about them. I did luck out with kids #s 1, 2 and 4. Girl, girl and boy-just what I wanted!

McKenna said...

Yes,Those ARE cute pictures!Sprout realy wanted a card or two,But he didn`t get one. :( Fortenetly,I dicided to make one for him.


And now he`s happy. :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday little one!!!

Sandy Cheeks said...

I was so honored to be there that day... sweet momories for me too.