Thursday, February 02, 2006

First Official Finished Object of 2006

I am so excited to share my first official finished object of 2006. It is a pair of footed leggings for Sproutie. (Sorry the picture is upside down. I'm sure I could fix it, but I'm too excited for you to see it!) And here he is modeling them:Look at him looking at them, like, hey these are cool, mommy!A close-up of his feet and the finishing stitches:And Sproutie in action in the Exersaucer:Sshhh, he's on the phone.
What I'm most excited about is that I saw a need (I wanted to keep Sproutie's legs and feet warm while he was in the swing or exersaucer) and I knit up exactly what I wanted and what he needed. Yay!
Here are the particulars:

Pattern: from Erika Knight's book Simple Knits for Cherished Babies, called "Classic cashmere leggings". This book has some sweet baby patterns to knit, and I would highly recommend it just for this particular pattern. (It also has a pattern for a sweater to accompany these pants which is knit in just one piece, making it very simple. I have also knit that up and it is waiting to be finished, but more on that in a later post.)
Yarn: I used less than 3 balls of Rowan Wool Cotton for the smallest size, and just a smidge of Rowan Cotton Tape for the drawstring.
Needles: Size 3 and size 5 straight.

What drew me to this pattern was the fact that the waist was drawstring, so I could adjust for Sproutie's size. The pattern knit up easily in two pieces. I technically finished knitting these last fall, but wasn't comfortable with my finishing techniques, so the pieces sat for a couple months after I blocked them. I knew I needed to finish them up before Sproutie grew out of them, and with encouragement and gentle guiding from fabulous Wednesday night knitting group, I finally got them done! They fit well with just a bit of room to grow. I couldn't have planned it any better. Sproutie wore them all day today, and had no issues with his feet coming out of the footings, and the waist stayed right where it should. I am beside myself thrilled with this project! And the Rowan wool cotton feels softer with the baby wearing it than it did while I was knitting it. I decided on the wool cotton for washability, and for a warm fabric that would breathe. This is my first official wearable knitted object that I've made (besides scarves, hats, and a poncho) and I'm so happy with the results.

Hooray!

1 comment:

Tim said...

Hey those are cool! Drawtrings are the best, even if they're unnecissary. Mybe yu could make even cooler like stripes or something for ME!!! HAHAHA!

Well, I waited almost two days, but here it is:

Bandits

I like watching this movie because it was filmed in places like downtown Portland, and Oregon City, my old stomping grounds. But my favorite line is also said by Billy Bob: "We'ra in Scotland now with a bunch of sheep?"